sexta-feira, 23 de abril de 2010

Art super fan!!

Hi guys!!

Instead of commenting Cláudia's and DiOgo's posts, I'll do it in mine, ok?! So there you go!

DiOgo, I loved the idea of the Bonsai trees art. I never thought about them that way, but you are 100% right! I found this site on the web where you can see dozens of Bonsais with many different types, colours, and shapes. Check it out!!
www.bonsaibrasil.com.br/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=50
I bought a Bonsai once as a gift to my mohter-in-law. However, she didn't manage to master this skill of shaping it, and eventually it died. I, myself, would never have the serenity and discipline to grow one of my own. Hope to see yours someday.

Cláudia, I haven't watched this film yet, but it's already on my must-see list. I like this allegoric plots a lot, we see reality through fantasy. It is less painful but similarly striking.
As for your post about art, it inspired me with mine, since I love Bowie, as well, and one of my favourite movies from my younger years is his 'Labyrinth'.
Labyrinth is very diverse in terms of art, gathering music, dance, acting, scenery, make-up, and loads of imagination. As I've mentioned last class, Bowie is of vital importance in this film. The soundtrack was entirely composed, produced and recorded by him, except for one song, Chilly Down, which was recorded by David Alan Barclay, Karen Prell and Rob Mills.
You can have further information about the film, the cast, etc at this website: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091369/
The two parts of the film I like best are the costumes ball and when Sarah, Jennifer Connely's character, solves the labyrinth, defeating Jareth, the goblin king, played by Bowie. Here are these videos.





I also found another part that is quite groovy and funny at YouTube. This is the link, if you fell like seeing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViftZTfRSt8&feature=related


Jennifer Connely reminds me of another film that won 4 Oscars, among other prizes, and absolutely love: A Beautiful Mind. She plays the role of Alicia Nash, the wife of John Nash (Russell Crowe), a schizophrenic math prodigy who managed to overcome his mental illness by rationalizing the inexistence of his imaginary friends. Although I always cry desperately in this film, I can prevent watching it every now and then.
You can see the cast and other info about it here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268978/



Russell Crowe is present in many great Hollywood productions, for instance 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World', again with Paul Bettany, 'Proof of Life', with Meg Ryan, and 'Gladiator', with Joaquin Phoenix.


I consider the latter a masterpiece; no wonder it won 5 Oscars and earned $US34.82 million on its opening weekend, only in the US. Check out!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0172495/




Still talking about films, I love 'Mary Shelley's Frankenstein'. Steph Lady and Frank Darabont masterfully adaptated Shelley's novel into this film. It was directed by Kenneth Branagh, who also played the doctor, Victor Frankenstein. I am a great fan of Branagh, who is an expert in directing and acting in films adapted from literature classics, such as some Shakespearean plays and stories.
Besides Branagh, the cast still has names as De Niro, who excelled giving life to the Creature and Helena Bonham Carter, currently performing the Red Queen in Tim Burton's 'Alice In Wonderland'.
On top of it, we can also mention the settings and costumes carefully developed to take us back to the turn of the XIX century.
You can learn more about this film at this website: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109836/fullcredits#writers
And you can also watch the trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTWbosQ-9gA

Taking one step back to the connection between films and music, I'd like to refer to a #1 band, which I mentioned last class, Pink Floyd. They have shot 'The Wall', which is a mix of creativity and hallucination. It is shocking, but sensitive and, to a certain extent, beautiful. Check a snnipet of it here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bvT-DGcWw

What brought Pink Floyd to our discussion last class was a performance of the band shot in Pompeii, in which the ruins of the city and the remains of the deads are shown, mainly the artistic paintings they had on their walls and the scultures. I'm adding this video so that you can have an idea of the whole film.



When I think about music, films and video clips, Michael Jackson pops up in my mind, for his great and pioneer contribution in this field. His 'Thriller' was a turning point in terms of video clips, followed by other video hits like 'Black or White' and 'Remember The Time'. Not only they very well executed but also they count on outstanding people, namely Macaulay Culkin, Tyra Banks, Eddie Murphy, Iman, and Magic Johnson.
If you fell like watching them, just use their respective links below!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe88N1sWpgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqZnxvAPkL8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMSDgNtBD8o

Hope you enjoy the info, the pictures, and the videos I've posted.
See yah, Janine

Um comentário:

  1. Lol
    No need to become a Bonsai maker to take care of one.Usually those who sell
    advises the buyer or at least give a guide.I think you were unlucky.
    I have no serenity and discipline,but I'm still here =P
    Cya miss

    ResponderExcluir